08 Mar Duck River EMC Initiates Broadband Project
What are the facts?
- Rural Tennesseans need expanded broadband Internet connections.
- Tennessee’s Electric cooperatives can help solve this problem, but state law has to change first.
- IF the law changes, DREMC wants to be part of the solution by constructing a fiber-optic loop throughout our service area.
- This loop would not only improve digital communications for the electric cooperative, but would provide an opportunity for DREMC to partner with an Internet Service Provider (ISP).
- Potentially an ISP could lease excess fiber capacity, and then, in turn, reach rural customers in a cost-effective way.
- While DREMC certainly wants to be part of the solution of getting reliable Internet connectivity to our members, it is not our plan to become an ISP.
What can you do?
- Get involved by visiting takeactiontn.com and joining our campaign.
- Be patient knowing that plans and studies are underway for the best possible solution for our electric cooperative and for our valued members.